So, Netflix announced recently that they were axing season 2 of ‘The Society’ due to COVID and it really saddened me. ‘The Society’ came out in 2019 and became quickly very popular. For me, it was the best of the constant versions of “a whole bunch of kids are the only ones to survive how will they make it” shows which we’ve seen before in ‘Under the Dome’ and ‘Between’. It was real, these kids were doing stupid things, just trying to make relationships work and learn how to survive. There were power struggles and the part that I found really interesting as a criminology student was, we were able to watch them recreate the criminal justice system. American kids deciding which parts of the criminal justice system they wanted to keep and wanted to leave behind. But, they made mistakes. It showed domestic abuse and mental health. I loved ‘The Society’ and really liked the cast. Here are all the reasons I really am gutted the show got cancelled and why I hope Netflix will change their mind.
- Grizz and Sam were adorable – I think lots of us would agree we need to know how they get through the whole Becca’s baby thing. Grizz learning ASL (or really BSL) to talk to Sam in his language killed me. We need more of Grizz and Sam!
- We aren’t going to find out for sure who the baby’s father is – my money was always on Campbell because otherwise there would be no reason, when you are entirely isolated with only those classmates, to not tell your best friend unless it’s his terrible older brother.
- Where are they?
- What was up with the dog? Only 1 domestic animal was seen in New Ham and I need to know why! How did the dog get back to the real town at the end?
- What happened? – The entire show is them trying to learn to live in their own ‘society’ and figure out a way to get back and now we will never know. This just reminds me of when ‘The Returned’ got cancelled and I could never find out why those specific people rose from the dead and why Camille’s sister started to get sick.
- Are they going to make it back home?
- What was the deal with the writing on the church?
- What happens to their society? – Do they survive under this new leadership, can they become self-sufficient? Do they run out of food?
- I really enjoyed Katheryn Newton and so I hope she gets on another show soon so I can watch more of her work.
‘The Society’ was really popular when it came out with people making their guesses about what was really going on and theorizing and I for one was really looking forward to season 2 in 2020 but now they’ve cancelled it because of COVID and I am sad to know that I will never find out what the heck was going on. I understand these are unprecedented times and film and television is being hit hard by COVID however, I wish they had picked a different show honestly. The society could have had a really long run like ‘The 100’ but now it won’t and our questions will never be answered.
Please let me know if you’re also upset we won’t be seeing more of ‘The Society’ in the future!
Thanks for reading, don’t forget to check out my Facebook page down below or my Instagram @simplymythoughts_blog to know when I upload.